I don’t think I ever thought about infant feeding till I became pregnant. I never looked at a baby and wondered what it was fed. But it seems like everyone nowadays is so concerned; it’s the first question I was asked with each pregnancy. When I imagined myself as a mother, I always saw myself breastfeeding. It’s something I wanted desperately, and yet, I couldn’t produce enough milk for my babies. I have insufficient glandular tissue (IGT) and I don’t make more than a half ounce to an ounce per feeding.
I thought that I had failed my first two babies because I thought breastfeeding had to be all or nothing. My first almost starved to death on so little milk, and my husband wouldn’t let me repeat that experience with our second, so I fed him only formula. I found the Fed Is Best Foundation before the birth of my third child, and thank God for them. They empowered me to see it doesn’t have to be all or nothing—combination feeding is just as good for my baby. In fact, it’s the best for my family because I can breastfeed like I want, and my baby received the nutrition from formula that my breastmilk cannot give her enough of. Without them, I probably would have stopped just like I did with my other two. They gave me encouragement and support to make sure my baby is fed and happy.
And here I am, five months later, still latching her at every feeding. I wouldn’t change a thing.
I suffered severe PPD after my first two babies I felt so ashamed of myself and my inability to breastfeed them. I still hurt sometimes even now. But in moments like in that photo, my heart soars because I see what I have always wanted—I am breastfeeding and my baby is healthy— and I feel at peace to see her happy and content with me. Not all days are like that, but I had to share it in case someone thought it has to be all or nothing. I know I did—I did for too long—and now I know it doesn’t have to be. I thought I was alone for such a long time until I found Fed Is Best. I hope one day it reaches everyone and nobody has to suffer like I did with my first babies. I hope my daughter doesn’t go through what I did, even if she inherited my IGT. I seriously thank you all for everything you do. Thank you again, and I hope it does help to share my picture and story.
HOW YOU CAN SUPPORT FED IS BEST
There are many ways you can support the mission of the Fed is Best Foundation. Please consider contributing in the following ways:
- Join the Fed is Best Volunteer group to help us reach Obstetric Health Providers to advocate for counseling of new mothers on the importance of safe infant feeding.
- Make a donation to the Fed is Best Foundation. We are using funds from donations to cover the cost of our website, our social media ads, our printing and mailing costs to reach health providers and hospitals. We do not accept donations from breast- or formula-feeding companies and 100% of your donations go toward these operational costs. All the work of the Foundation is achieved via the pro bono and volunteer work of its supporters.
- Share the stories and the message of the Fed is Best Foundation through word-of-mouth, by posting on your social media page and by sending our resources to expectant moms that you know. Share the Fed is Best campaign letter with everyone you know.
- Write a letter to your health providers and hospitals about the Fed is Best Foundation. Write them about feeding complications your child may have experienced.
- Print out our letter to obstetric providers and mail them to your local obstetricians, midwives, family practitioners who provide obstetric care and hospitals.
- Write your local elected officials about what is happening to newborn babies in hospitals and ask for legal protection of newborn babies from underfeeding and of mother’s rights to honest informed consent on the risks of insufficient feeding of breastfed babies.
- Send us your stories. Share with us your successes, your struggles and every thing in between. Every story saves another child from experiencing the same and teaches another mom how to safely feed her baby. Every voice contributes to change.
- Send us messages of support. We work every single day to make infant feeding safe and supportive of every mother and child. Your messages of support keep us all going.
- Shop and Fed is Best Foundation will earn cash back! We hope to develop our online safe infant feeding classes with these funds.
- If you need support, we have a private support group– Join
We believe all babies deserve to be protected from hunger and thirst every single day of their life and we believe that education on Safe Infant Feeding should be free. If you would like to make a donation to support the Fed is Best Foundation’s mission to teach every parent Safe Infant Feeding, please consider making a one-time or recurring donation to our organization.Donate to Fed is Best
Thank you so much from the Founders of the Fed is Best Foundation!